Coconut milk – oil in water emulsion is made from coconut fruit which contains significant portion of Kernel (grated coconut meat). To keep up the stability many proteins are added which can exist in aqueous phase. Coconut milk is a resource-rich in fat and utilized by the number of people in their daily routines as an alternative source of cow’s milk. Those avid consumers who consumed it daily finish the leftovers before it gets bad, but those who use it off and on and want to increase the shelf life of coconut milk, although it doesn’t get sour in a week by keeping it in fridge. So, many people want to store the milk for longer days, and they think can we freeze coconut milk? Of course, yes!
However, freezing of coconut milk may change the taste and texture of coconut milk, so be sure you know the characteristics of sour coconut milk. Typically, coconut milk is sold in sealed containers which have a shelf life of months, but once it gets opened you have to store in airtight jar in fridge. Then the problem here is, many of us don’t know how to freeze coconut milk for later use. Some people adopt traditional methods that are not as such good. We are here to explain some best techniques to get rid of this problem and save your money. So, no worries! Have a smart play in the kitchen!
Easy Techniques of How to Freeze Coconut Milk
Learn some easy-going methods that do not require much time and hard work; let’s began:
1. Freezing in small amounts:
A very efficient and versatile way to freeze coconut milk and use it later in the required quantity, follow the following steps:
- Take a container of coconut milk and an empty ice cube tray which is environment-friendly, reusable, and clean, pour the milk into the small boxes, and place it in the freezer.
- It will take about 3 to 5 hours to get frozen. Upper side will get the frozen texture early doesn’t mean its completely frozen, inner will get iced late.
- After they have frozen, transfer cubes in sealable polythene bags to vacate the trays for freezing ice cubes or something else.
- Whenever you want to have a glass of coconut milk, get the cubes out and put them into the glass. Wait for some time to get them to melt entirely before drinking or heat them in the microwave oven for some seconds; if you are in hurry.
The method mentioned above is a valid answer to how to freeze coconut milk in little portions; sometimes it takes little time but worthy.
2. Freezing in Large amounts:
This technique is time-taking but straightforward and requires little effort with uncertainty of portion size; however, you may need significant amount for cooking (mostly used in Asian cuisine), so apply the procedure given below as:
- Pour the leftover milk from the coconut container to an airtight container; you can also store in the plastic vessels or bottles by keeping some space above, as it expands when iced.
- Place the bottle or container in the freezer and freeze coconut milk up to 6 months however due to freezing, it would have lost its little taste and texture might change, and it will become grainier but remain fresh.
- Later on; to thaw the coconut milk for cooking, put it in fridge 4-5 days before because it takes more time in melting as we think. Check it daily and see that process of melting is low.
- You can also defrost it by putting it in cold water; it will be ready to use in couple of hours.
- If you want to defrost it quickly, microwave it in safe microwave container in 15sec milestones. However, if the container is not microwave safe, put it in warm water that it loses the sides and add it in safe one, then heat.
- Moreover, if you are cooking any soupy food, you can use it directly by adding the iced coconut in the pot, but you have to increase the cooking time accordingly.
Above explained steps are very appropriate to perform, and best way to tell how to freeze coconut milk and the most important thing is to give a stir to thawed milk to improve its consistency.
Some other methods of utilizing leftover Coconut milk
Many of the times it happens that recipe uses less of the coconut milk and often there is little leftover, and we kept on thinking about what we can do with this bit of extras? Should we freeze it, or should we use it instantly? The finest is to use it immediately within a day, but how? Look the following pinpoints:
- Salad dressing: Have an exotic, soft, and delicious salad dressing by adding a little coconut milk and mild spice, less in fat and calories in few minutes and a starter to your lunch or dinner.
- Oats or Cereals: Add some richness and creamy touch to your morning delights that are quick to make.
- Cocktail: Get some delicious and tasteful blend by adding coconut milk in any flavor of cocktail and present a beautiful serve to guests.
- Coffee or Tea: Give extra buttery and sweet touch in your glug either in morning or evening, these extras can fulfill your creamy flavored desire.
We can freeze any of the things especially any of the liquid, but everything has different property of freezing and melting. So, those who cook Asian meals daily frequently have leftovers, and mostly they get them wasted due to spoiling. They don’t focus on saving it in one or the other, and it turned out into a disaster. Now, you can learn from above steps how to freeze coconut milk and cure your curiosity. Freeze it in smaller portions or larger ones according to your recipe or need. Later on, used it any way you want, ignoring the fact of texture that can get better by mixing it with a hand mixer. Additionally, little amounts can be consumed in daily snacks or delights. Hence, freezing coconut milk – a kitchen art, way to lavish your taste!